https://www.firemanspaving.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/iStock-524156528.jpg 1280 1920 Renee Gilmore https://www.firemanspaving.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/logo-300x65.png Renee Gilmore2021-10-09 14:07:012022-08-15 09:27:14Surprising Facts About Asphalt
It’s no surprise that the most popular material used in paving is both inexpensive and easily obtained. But did you know it can also be recycled and doesn’t harm the environment? Here are some more interesting facts about asphalt!
- The process for making recycled asphalt requires about twenty percent less energy than other types of pavement and is much faster which allows for roads to be created or fixed very quickly.
- Asphalt is a form of petroleum and can be found in natural asphalt lakes or as a solid. It gets blended with mineral aggregate to create a smooth foundation that can be used to pave surfaces
- Asphalt is one of America’s most recycled products. It’s recycled twice as much as paper, plastic, aluminum put together! This “green asphalt” or recycled asphalt is actually higher quality than brand new asphalt.
- Old tires, roofing shingles, and metal casting can all be recycled together with asphalt, making it even more environmentally friendly.
- Asphalt not only allows for a smoother ride but also reduces road noise. According to a 2013 World Road Association-PIARC study asphalt can reduce highway noise by as much as 7 percent.
- Unlike other forms of pavement, asphalt can be repaired easily using a crack filling or many other products which will help increase its lifespan.